Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Sleepy time!!

So I had gastroscopy yesterday at Charlie's under general, nothing like that feeling of being put under (no wonder MJ liked it so much)
Though I must say I'm not a fan of the rude awakening!
All was well and nothing untoward down my gullet so when I regained my marbles I wandered down to the transplant unit to meet with the consultant to discuss medication.
I am now told the do's and dont's of having to take warfarin long term and how closely it has to be monitored, I also have to have 2 injections per day 12 hrs apart of clexane (anti-coagulant, not unlike heparin) for 5 days to assist the warfarin in the beginning
Then every couple of days I have to get my INR checked (another blood test) in the morning so the doc can adjust my warfarin before my next dose time in the arvo/evening
All sounds a but complicated but I'm sure I'll get used too it!
So needle time... Last night went to my neighbors house (she is a reg nurse) so she could teach hubby how to give me the injections, she came over, laid me down and did a good job, wasn't to bad on the way in but damn that crap that's getting pushed into me stings like a bitch!!!
Was still stinging 1/2 hr later but I can't rub it as I bruise too easily so just gotta bare with it!
So hubby had his turn this morning, he looked like a professional the way he flicked the needle upside down and got the air out of it (must be those medical docos I make him watch from time to time) he pinched my fat (times like this I'm glad I have extra!) and poked me, I didn't even feel it! Until that awful ooze went in then it stung like a bitch again, top job to to my new nurse, he defiantly gets brownie points for his gentleness.
So, 8 more of these to go and the warfarin should be then doing its thing, just need to be super vigilant that I don't injure myself as once I start bleeding I can't stop!!
Another 'terrible' side effect of the warfarin is I'm not allowed to eat foods that are potassium rich, so out goes the leafy green veggies (bugger!)
Never liked that rabbit food crap anyways!!
Well that's me for now, will report back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment