Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Bloody clots!

Saw prof Jeffrey this arvo with my entourage (Mum and Clay)
Prognosis looks better than we thought, I'm booked in for an endoscopy (camera down the gullet) on Monday at Charlie's to make sure there's nothing untoward happening at the top of my Gastro Tract
Then it's off for some blood work to ascertain what dose of warfarin I will be put on
They are going to trial the warfarin and rescan me in six months to see if it has helped to move the clot
Basically the way he explained it to us is there is an artery and a vein that supplies blood to the liver, my blockage is in the vein that stems from my small intestine with all of the digested nutrients from the food I eat, and because my liver is predominantly cirrhosis (scar tissue) it is hard and rigid and inflexible so the blood flow has to slow down to make its way around, and in doing so has backed up and bunched up (thrombus/clot) add to that it being unable to create a recourse through the scar tissue it is therefore unable to adequately supply my bits with the bits I need
So we will trial warfarin (blood thinners) and see if it helps reduce the size of the clot, this will also alleviate the risk of any new clots forming in the meantime
To say we are somewhat relieved is an understatement!

No comments:

Post a Comment